Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Getting Acquainted with Kimberley


I’ve spent my first week in Kimberley and am so far loving it. Its very flat, dry and dusty city with not a ton to do, but has a lot of character. A little background on Kimberley; it’s the capital of the Northern Cape province with a population of 185,000 and used to be a large diamond mining town that is now completely shut down. The climate is similar to a desert with the weather being hot and dry during the day and then the temperature dropping drastically at night. Right now it’s the end of winter with the high usually being 65 and the low 30. The Kimtern house has pretty much no insulation, so it gets chilly at night. The house is split into two parts, one side with the kitchen, living room, Nick’s room and a bathroom. The other side is my room and another bathroom. To get from one side to the other you need to go outdoors. My side is also called ‘the cave’, because it gets much colder since not as much light gets in. Growing up in freezing state of Vermont has definitely helped me in dealing with the cave. By summertime I know I’ll be very happy to be on the colder side since I melt at any temp higher than 80.
            So far we’ve done some cool things in Kimberley. Nick and I are lucky enough to have Nora (’12-’13) intern to show us the ropes around town. We went to the mall where there is a great pizza joint called Panoratti’s that has a deal on Thursday night for all you can eat pizza for 60R (=$6). It was like pizza dim sum with waiters and waitresses bringing all these different kinds of pizza by and you picking and choosing what you want, very awesome. In honor of the PGA finals we went to the Big Hole driving range where we hit a few golf balls and grabbed a beer. Unfortunately they were not showing the tournament much to everyone’s disbelief.  I’ve also been learning how to drive stick in our car the condor. I went on the roads for the first time today, and it was terrifying but also exhilarating. I really can’t wait till I’ve gotten accustomed to it because right now I have 20 things going through my brain at once. My shoulders were tensed the entire time I was behind the wheel. It also doesn’t help that they drive on the left side of the road which definitely adds to the mental work put in.
The best thing we’ve done has definitely been going to Lilydale. Lilydale is part of Mokala National Park. Its about a 30 minute drive from where we live with lots of wild animals and a beautiful river. We hung out by the river for the day tanning on the rocks and soaking in how gorgeous Lilydale is. Nick was brave enough to take a dip in the water which was way too cold for my taste, Nora and I were happy to sucking up some rays. On the drive we saw a ton of animals including kuru, warthogs, ostriches, zebra and some type of musk ox. There were a few other little critters but I really don’t know any of their names. I’m definitely planning on making a lot of trips to Lilydale in the future.
Tomorrow will be the first day of work in the GRS and I’m so pumped to get started. We went by the office last week and had some introductions to the staff and I’m excited to work with all of them and to meet the coaches.
           
           The living room


My room aka 'the cave'


Our beautiful yard












No comments:

Post a Comment